Thursday, May 21, 2015

Brand Moodboard

At the end of last year and very beginning of this year, I was struggling with whether or not I wanted to rebrand Scrawny Girl. Not just the logo, but a complete over haul with a new name. I've had the same mascot for a while and the name was old (even though I have only been technically using it for a year, my husband came up with it over 6 years ago).
I sat down and made lists of names, trying to figure out what I wanted to communicate to the world about me and my work. I actually came up with some good ones, and even thought of using my own name (which was taken for .coms and etsy). Sadly nothing clicked and I was getting no where. I decided to make a Pinterest mood board for random things that caught my eye, logos I liked, colors + textures. This helped, but I wanted something I could physically see everyday....
So I dusted off my stacks of magazines and did things the old fashion way. I cut things out that inspired me, that I love, and thought of a color palette that screamed Scrawny Girl. I grabbed a notebook and made notes and filled it with dreams for the future of Scrawny Girl.

I finally had a sense of direction and decided against changing my name, but just updating my current logo and changing my tag line. Quirky Cuteness + Happy Hearts was a result of staring at this moodboard and eating too much Pocky.


Most of my clippings came from Mollie Makes magazines because that's pretty much all I've kept over the years of decluttering.

I knew I wanted a shade of pink in my color palette and I was actaully using this polka dot washi tape as inspiration. In the end I went with a pastel palette of pink, mint, and gold.

I got this little Sonny Angel for Christmas and decided he was my little muse for the year. It's kinda silly but he cheers me up. I named him Tomoe, mostly because I've been watching too much Kamisama Kiss.

If you are thinking about a rebrand or just trying to come up with a brand here's a few things that helped me:
1. Go with your gut. If you like it, that's all that matters. This brand represents you and what you make.
2. Keep it simple + consistent. You want to keep your logo/brand recognizable across all social media platforms.
3. Do some research. What are others in your field doing? How are you different?
4. Figure out your values. What's most important to you? What do you + your business stand for? What will your customers experience when they interact with your company?
5. Paint a business landscape (literally or figuratively). Who is your dream client? What are your strengths/weaknesses? How do you stand out?
6. Ask for help when you need it. Don't know how to design a logo, look for an illustrator or graphic designer. Ask around to see who other people have used.

This is my current logo. Tessa from Krmbal helped me tweak it last year (if you need graphic design help she rocks!) This year I changed the fonts, colors, layout, and added my tag line. I'm super happy with it, but that doesn't mean it won't change a bit in 6 months or so. >_<
Have you made a mood board for your business? Post a link in the comments, I would love to check it out! Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment