Monday, November 14, 2016

New Sketchbook + the Dreaded First Page


I'm always on the hunt for the perfect sketchbook. I have a bad habit of ripping out the pages, mostly because I'm left handed and it's just easier to draw without the bind getting in the way. Although I guess I could draw in the book backwards, kinda like you read manga...

I've used many different brands + types of paper, but I always seem to come back to Moleskine. Recently I thought I needed a big ass sketchbook, but turned out it just wasn't working for me and was a bit overwhelming. I had a Ladies Sketch Club meeting on Friday and hoped the Moleskine I ordered on Amazon would be here in time, but it wasn't. I had a few pages in an old square Moleskine that I was able to use.

I love to put stickers on my sketchbooks. I also love supporting other artists. This sticker is from @beebooties on IG or here's her Etsy shop. I love Eleven from Stranger Things, and out of all the fanart I saw this was my favorite.


The Moleskine has a cover page which has a little section to put your name and offer a reward if your sketchbook is lost and found. My reward for anyone who finds mine is a cup of coffee... I put this post-it doodle on that page in case the good Samaritan needed a visual of what I looked like. >_<

Normally, I skip this first page of every sketchbook. If I do talk myself into drawing on it, I usually end up ripping it out. That's just how it works for me. I think with the cover page, it made it seem less scary and I drew on the first page!


It was just some cute doodles of things I like to think of as my cozy kit. I don't love it, but I don't hate it and I'm trying to make an effort not to rip out pages (even for drawing purposes). The ink pen I'm using (Paper Mate Flair M) doesn't bleed through, but I don't like drawing on the back side unless I have to. I had an idea to make little post-it note drawings to stick on the back sides of the pages I draw on.


Here is today's...I decided to cut my own bangs and well it was a disaster as predicted by anyone who knows me. I was going for kinda short betty bangs and ended up with crazy short wonky baby bangs...good thing I wear a lot of hats.

I am planning to use this sketchbook as sort of a visual diary. I love seeing inside other people's sketchbooks/visual diaries/travel journals and thought it would be fun to do my own! Another reason NOT to tear out my pages.

Am I the only one smelling + touching all the paper when trying to pick out a sketchbook?  Let me know what your favorite sketchbook is! Do you draw on the first page or skip it?

No comments:

Post a Comment