Friday, August 30, 2019

Current Art Supplies

I don't know about you, but as an artist I'm always interested in art supplies and what supplies other artists use. It's always nice to try new things, but at the same time you have your tried and true favorites. 
  • Last year I went through a watercolor pencil phase and ordered several different types of watercolor pencils. I realized I needed a nice pencil sharpener and ordered this one from Faber-Castell, bonus points that it's cute!
  • Washi tape is always in my pencil pouch. I don't have a light board, so I use my backdoor window. I just make a copy (on my printer) of the page from my sketchbook, tape it to the window and then tape my watercolor paper on top of it to trace my image for inking. Also, sometimes I rip pages out of my sketchbook or use small scraps and need to tape them back in. Pink washi can be found here and the white washi was a gift from a friend who went to Japan.
  • I'm a big fan of Sakura products in general. They're easy for me to find and the quality is just what I need. I've been using them from the beginning and always feel bad/regret when I try a new ink pen. I've tried every size of the Micron pen and 5 is my number. I actually bought a box of 14 of these on Amazon so I wouldn't run out for a while (I'm pretty hard on my pens). 
  • I've tried a ton of sketchbooks and I keep coming back to Moleskine. The size and paper are just right for my needs. This is always a personal preference and it just takes a lot of trial and error to find your dream sketchbook. I like to decorate mine with stickers.
  • My best friend got me a whole set of these Prismacolor Col-Erase pencils for my birthday a few years ago (and that's why she's my BFF, she is just the best). These are the most amazing pencils for sketching! I actually learned about these from watching Frannerd YouTube videos. These are the 2 colors I use the most right now, and they are my 'lucky' pencils. 
  • I used to paint with several brushes, and saw this Aquash Water Brush from Pentel on a YouTube video and ordered a set on Amazon and it was a life changer. This is the ONLY brush I use, and it's stayed in amazing condition. Also, it's a snap to put away when the baby wakes from her nap suddenly. 
  • I only use mechanical pencils to trace my work onto watercolor paper. These 2 are my favorites and I usually loose one, but it turns up eventually. 
  • Pentel Techniclick
  • Sakura127
Let me know some of your favorite supplies, I'd love to try them!

No comments:

Post a Comment