Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Frida


Last night I decided to start painting this portrait sketch of Frida Kahlo. It has been a while since I've painted anything and I felt a bit out of practice.

Truthfully, I've never been into the un-erasable images in Frida's paintings and often found her work a bit creepy. Recently, quotes and images of Frida have been popping up everywhere. I tried to watch the movie Frida with Salma Hayek, but stopped it after the bus crash scene.

Since today is Frida's birthday I decided to watch a documentary on YouTube. I enjoyed hearing about her life from her students and art historians. I found her very interesting. After watching the documentary and learning more about her motives for painting, the images in her work made more sense. The things that I found creepy before, now told a story about a woman's very painful life.


If you have time today, watch a documentary or check out her artwork and appreciate the life of a very passionate woman who painted her life experiences. Happy Birthday Frida.


No comments:

Post a Comment